tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Monitoring Tomcat availability in a load balanced capacity
Date Wed, 12 Nov 2008 21:48:17 GMT
Adam Gordon wrote:
> See my reply to Hassan.  I think setting up a proxy would be overkill,
> and besides, when running Tomcat in a load-balanced capacity w/ sticky
> sessions using mod JK, while you can connect directly to the port on
> which Tomcat is listening for mod JK requests, unless you speak mod JK,
> it doesn't do anything.

I'm glad there is another solution available directly through mod_jk,
which I was unaware of.

But re-read my earlier attempt maybe.
I wasn't trying to tell you to talk to the AJP connector from the
front-end.  I was trying to tell you to talk to Tomcat's HTTP ports, not
to interfere with the load balancing, which I presume applies only to
requests coming through the AJP connectors.
Like, at the Apache front-end level :
<Location /tomcat1/are_you_there>
    ---> proxy to http://tomcat1:8080/imthere.html
</Location>
<Location /tomcat2/are_you_there>
    ---> proxy to http://tomcat2:8081/imtheretoo.html
</Location>

Seemed pretty clever to me, as a quick solution. ;-)
Maybe due to my lack of knowledge, but I don't really see where the
overkill would be.