tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat threads
Date Wed, 12 Nov 2008 21:27:20 GMT
Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: Christopher Schultz [mailto:chris@christopherschultz.net]
>> Subject: Re: Tomcat threads
>>
>> PermGen seems like an odd item to share... though I
>> guess all those java.lang.Package, java.lang.Class,
>> java.lang.Method, etc. objects can really beat a
>> system down.
>
> The sharing is not for capacity purposes, merely to reduce JVM startup time.
>
>> I was under the impression that only java.* classes were
>> shared, and not just anything that was loaded by a bootstrap
>> classloader
>
> That is likely correct.  Since we use the -server version pretty much exclusively, it's
a don't care for us.

Since apparently this conversation clears some matters up, even for
gurus, would one of you care to back-up a couple of messages, and
re-state the final consensus in English for us mere mortals ?

Like what gets shared when, in a usual JVM 1.5+ /Tomcat 5.5+ context,
with say two parallel instances of Tomcat running on the same host ?
(and what is PermGen ?)

Thanks.