tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier>
Subject Re: Monitoring Tomcat availability in a load balanced capacity
Date Wed, 12 Nov 2008 19:00:47 GMT
Adam Gordon wrote:
> We're running two Tomcat (5.5.16) instances in a load-balanced capacity
> behind an Apache server (2.0.55 w/ mod j/k 1.2.14).
> We'd like to set up some sort of monitoring that would allow us to not
> just check to see if the Tomcat Java processes are still running (that's
> easy) but to actually connect to each web server (either independently
> or via the load-balancer) and verify that a certain page can be returned.
> Since we're connecting to Tomcat via an Apache load-balancer, we don't
> know of a way to force the load-balancer to go to a certain Tomcat
> instance.  Additionally, we don't know how to speak mod j/k so we can't
> fake a direct connection to each Tomcat instance.
> Does anyone know of a way or a product (commercial or open-source) to
> achieve this?
I don't think you would need a special product to do that, open source
or not.
On your Apache front-end, it would probably be easy to set up a proxy,
which via simple HTTP would proxy just the links you want to either one
of your back-end Tomcat HTTP ports.
You would need the HTTP Connector active on each Tomcat, but that should
already be the case by default.

Someone better versed in Apache mod_proxy could help you there.
Maybe try the list at if you don't get more help

Of course, if you can access your Tomcats directly through their own
HTTP ports, then you don't even need that.  I'm just assuming you cannot.

To start a new topic, e-mail:
To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message