tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat threads, II
Date Wed, 12 Nov 2008 13:41:55 GMT
David kerber wrote:
> Pid wrote:

>> Having said that, parsing XML can be a memory intensive operation as
>> well, so your old box could be experiencing problems there - check the
>> garbage collection log.

> I try to avoid XML for this exact reason.  We found that our application
> could handle between 6 and 10 times more concurrent requests on the same
> hardware when we went away from XML data transmission, and switched to a
> simple text-based HTTP POST request.

Thank you all very much.
But, as mentioned before, I have no choice about the XML.  That's how
the application works, and we don't have the code.
We have already tried - because that is one thing we can do - to split
the XML data into smaller chunks, but that does not seem to have any
significant impact.

We do really like the application though. So before I decide to junk it,
we will make further tests on a better server.
But my question now was, apart from the things I cannot change, what
could I try changing on the current test server, to see if it makes any
difference ? Should I give more/less meory to Tomcat or Java, and if yes
how ?  Can I tell Tomcat/Java to start this application, but use only
some maximum percentage of the memory/cpu time while doing so ?

I also do not know where to look for the garbage collection log. Hints
anyone ? And what should I look for in there ?
Is there any way, from the outside of the application, that I can check
what exactly the application is busy doing, when it is starting up ?