tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Tomcat threads
Date Tue, 11 Nov 2008 21:56:08 GMT
Hi.

Only for my own intellectual advancement in matters Tomcat :

On this page : http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/http.html
, referring to the third paragraph of the Introduction.

This paragraph explains that Tomcat will start additional threads as
required to process incoming requests on the Connector, up to the
(possible) maximum indicated by maxThreads.

Am I right in assuming that, as soon as one of these threads is done
processing his current request, it disappears again ? Or does it stick
around doing nothing for a while ?

And is there a "minThread" setting, or is that automatically 1, the one
thread listening for new requests ?

Also, in terms of thread memory usage : when on a Linux system, one
looks at a "top" display with an idle single Tomcat (thread ? process ?)
and sees it using e.g. "250m" of memory, is that memory really used at
that point ?
And if 3 requests were to come in very rapidly, resulting in 3 new
threads being started, would each of these threads really require "250m"
bytes in order to run ?

(Maybe I should add that my knowledge about Java threads is minimal, if
it does not already show evidently above).

Thanks