tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstr,ap
Date Mon, 10 Nov 2008 18:44:01 GMT
Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
>> Subject: Re: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
>> org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstr,ap
>>
>> why are there two versions for Windows, and what would
>> be the best usage of the one or the other version ?
>
> Now that's a good question.  Since I'm not privy to the designers' thought processes,
I can only speculate that the .exe version is for novices who don't know how to actually use
a computer.
Not everyone who drives a car is, or wants to be, a mechanic. It only
very seldom helps.

   Although the .exe slightly simplifies the service installation, its
failure to include the scripts makes it a non-starter for me; if I had a
vote, I'd get rid of it.

> By the way, there aren't two versions for Windows, but three: the tarball works fine
(just as the .zip does on Linux), as long as you have something on Windows with which to extract
the files.

So one could then say that the zip and tarball versions are totally
identical, just packed with a different utility ?

An additional pointed question, about the .zip and tarball versions
(assuming one can unpack it on the platform of choice) :
There was a time when a "pure java" program did not work very well as a
Windows Service. Such as, if started from a command window, it would be
killed whenever the user who originally started it, logged out of his
Windows session.
It was my understanding that this was at least one reason why the
Commons Daemon wrapper (procrun) was developed, to "wrap" the JVM in
such a way that it did not do that.

Now, is this still the case, and/or (mixture of questions here) :
a) the zip/tarball version also include whatever is needed to wrap the
JVM and Tomcat into the Windows Service wrapper ?
b) the JVM nowadays handles this fine on its own, and does not need the
wrapper anymore ?
c) you really need the wrapped version if you want to run Tomcat as a
service, and only the Service installer provides that wrapper ?