tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstr,ap
Date Mon, 10 Nov 2008 16:06:27 GMT
Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
>> Subject: Re: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
>> org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstr,ap
>>
>> I believe that this only a problem of documentation.
>
> Nope.

I think maybe yep still.
I believe it is really not clear what you get when on the download page,
and the README does not help that much, unless you pretty much already
know the difference between the zip version and the Service installer.
As to the Documentation page
(http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/index.html)
2. Setup
it leads to a page where you find
a) the installation as a Windows service
and
b) the installation as a Unix daemon
but it is missing the "in-between" : that you can also run Tomcat under
Windows from the ".zip" distribution (maybe as a service, maybe not, I'm
still not quite clear myself on that one).
And the "Windows Service HowTo" starts with the bold phrase
*This section of the documentation applies to procrun 1.0, and is now
obsolete.*
So it's not particularly inviting or reassuring.
Even that phrase also assumes that someone already knows what procrun
is, in the first place.

Understand, I'm not complaining, just explaining that someone without
previous knowledge may have some doubts as to what to use.