tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Kees Jan Koster <kjkos...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Threadpool doesn't contain any threads
Date Wed, 26 Nov 2008 09:44:42 GMT
Dear Praveen,

> Everyday we are noticing the tomcat not responding on a port. On
> further inspection we noticed that the thread pool that is serving
> this port has no threads. Right around the time tomcat goes into
> this state, we noticed that there is a thread death, and get the
> following stack trace

Does this happen randomly on the day, or at a specific time of day? Is
it reproducible on a test machine?

What other activity is going on around the time that Tomcat dies? Cron
jobs? Backups? Network changes?

> Did anyone else notice this issue. Another minor caveat is, we built
> Tomcat using JDK 1.5 but are running it on JDK 1.6. Could this be
> causing any issue?

Hum. You built your own Tomcat? Is there a test environment that you
can test this application with a pre-built one from Apache.org? Just
to make sure.

> Also I used Jconsole and noticed that currentThreadBusy and
> currentThreadCount are both -1.

I'm not sure that these figures can be trusted once the thread pool
has died.
--
Kees Jan

http://java-monitor.com/forum/
kjkoster@kjkoster.org
06-51838192

Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe
so full of wonders,
they have managed to invent boredom. Quite astonishing... -- Terry
Partchett