tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Michael Ludwig <mil...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: User Request Ordering
Date Tue, 25 Nov 2008 01:24:06 GMT
Clifton B. Sothoron Jr. schrieb am 24.11.2008 um 13:55:00 (-0500):
> I have a Tomcat 6.0 Web application with a number of buttons on the
> screen. Some of them execute quickly, some more slowly.  However, they
> need to execute in order. When a user clicks on a slow button and then
> clicks on a fast button Tomcat needs to wait for the results of the
> slow button before moving on to the fast executing button.

No - Tomcat is patient: the user needs to wait. Don't show him button
two until he's allowed to click it.

You coult also use Javascript to disable the button, which, of course,
requires the user not disable Javascript in his browser.

> However, this is not happening. The results of the fast button are
> disrupting the results of the slow button.  How do I configure Tomcat
> to process user requests in order?

Tomcat is the server, and the server knows everything. So Tomcat can
check whether or not it is legitimate for button X to be clicked on
behalf of user Y. This should be done regardless of whether or not you
move to one of the solutions at the UI level.

Michael Ludwig