tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Michael Ludwig <mil...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Deploying mysql-connector-java-5.1.7-bin.jar in /WEB-INF/lib
Date Sun, 23 Nov 2008 16:05:56 GMT
Mark Thomas schrieb am 23.11.2008 um 11:25:43 (+0000):
> IƱigo Mediavilla Saiz wrote:
> > [Tomcat 6] When I try to access to a Database through the connector
> > it fails if I leave it inside WEB-INF\lib, but everything works if I
> > copy the jar in the lib folder of the apache distribution. Is there
> > any other way to let a web app access to a lib without having to
> > copy the jar in apache\lib?
>
> You can't use Tomcat's built in (DBCP based) connection pooling
> without placing the JDBC driver jar in CATALINA_HOME/lib.

You can, via conf/catalina.properties, as explained in my other post on
this thread. But it is not documented very well.

> To do what you want, you need to include your own copy of DBCP with
> your web app and do all the pool configuration in your web app.

I wonder if there is a scenario in which this would make sense?

And wouldn't more memory be required for 5 web apps all loading the same
classes redundantly instead of relying on the container to do it once
instead?

Michael Ludwig