tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Manager app language
Date Fri, 28 Nov 2008 15:18:12 GMT
> From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
> Subject: Re: Manager app language
>
> In the Welcome page of this application (the one mentioned in the
> web.xml's <welcome-file> tag), right before anything gets displayed to
> the user calling it up, the user.language property is currently being
> set to German

Sounds like we have a prime suspect.  Can you post the portion of the JSP that does that?

> Now my question is : assuming Tomcat is started anew, that all
> applications are deployed and loaded

Are they?  What is the value of deployOnStartup in your <Host> element(s)?  (The default
value is true.)

> And I guess any init() method called by Tomcat would thus be
> the one of this jsp compiler.

Correct.

> But does that jsp compiler already pre-compile some of the pages, and
> execute some of the methods invoked in these pages, even before a user
> would actually call up the page ?

They don't have to be pre-compiled, just not modified since the last usage.  The JSP servlet
saves the generated .java and .class files in Tomcat's work directory and reuses them across
Tomcat restarts.  However, I can't find any mechanism that will invoke the generated code
prior to a request occurring.

Since the manager servlets are not configured with <load-on-startup>, it looks to me
like any request for your main webapp that arrives before one for the manager will trigger
the observed behavior.  There may be some subtleties in the Tomcat initialization process
that narrows the window, but I haven't dug into it enough to see them.

 - Chuck