tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: GPGPU and Tomcat
Date Thu, 27 Nov 2008 15:53:46 GMT
> From: James Law [mailto:JLaw@generic-software.com]
> Subject: GPGPU and Tomcat
>
> Would Tomcat see any benefits from implementing gpgpu support
> in the way that the distributed project "Folding" has seen?

Tomcat is pure Java (except for the APR connector), so any such support would have to be in
the JVM, not Tomcat itself.

> I find GPGPU quite fascinating subject  and for what I can understand
> tomcat could potentially see benefits from having massive amounts of
> parallel processing power available.

Whether or not any particular application would benefit depends on the characteristics of
that application.  Frequently, webapps do relatively minor processing, with the brunt of the
work being performed in a data base engine (usually running on a separate system).  The exception
is handling SOAP or similar protocols that require extensive (and expensive) parsing.

Also, the server boxes Tomcat is typically run on in production environments tend to have
very minimal GPUs, since they are not used directly by any GUI software.

 - Chuck