tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Manager app language
Date Thu, 27 Nov 2008 03:58:17 GMT
> From: Michael Ludwig [mailto:milu71@gmx.de]
> Subject: Re: Manager app language
>
> I'm not sure Tomcat would bother what character encoding you
> specify in LANG.

It does, albeit indirectly.  JVM initialization uses the LANG value to set user.language,
user.country, sun.jnu.encoding, and file.encoding, and it's the user.language setting that
determines which LocalStrings file the manager uses.

Curiously enough, LANG=de_DE.iso885915 does not work on the SuSE box I'm using; the JVM reverted
to en, US, and ANSI-X3.4-1968 when I tried that.  LANG=de_DE.iso88591 does work as expected,
even though "locale -a" doesn't list it.

 - Chuck