tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Manager app language
Date Wed, 26 Nov 2008 23:05:24 GMT
> From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
> Subject: Re: Manager app language

> But where the h.. does Tomcat or the Manager figure that it needs to
> send the "application list" main page in German ?

The nice Tomcat folks provided a few language translations of the manager strings in LocalStrings[_xx].properties
files (buried inside server/webapps/manager/WEB-INF/lib/catalina-manager.jar).  The appropriate
one is read up as a ResourceBundle during manager initialization based on the value of Locale.getDefault().
 The default Locale is derived from the user.language system property, which itself initially
comes from LC_xxx variants, if not set on the command line.  The default Locale can be changed
on the fly (as can user.language), but that shouldn't affect message bundles already read
in.

If Tomcat or the manager app were not restarted before each language change, I still don't
understand how this could happen.  I went so far as to modify the manager servlet to change
the Locale after each display of the status page (and show the current language), but it still
had no effect.

 - Chuck