tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Re: Tomcat 6 unstable
Date Wed, 26 Nov 2008 01:44:00 GMT
> From: Michael Ludwig [mailto:milu71@gmx.de]
> Subject: Re: Re: Tomcat 6 unstable
>
> I don't think the file URI scheme without a hostname translates
> into a network request. For what would be the protocol used for
> such a request?

SMB for Windows, SMB or NFS for Linux.  Try putting file://[host]/[share]/[file] in an IE
address bar.  (Firefox handles the file:// protocol somewhat erratically.)

>     The file URL scheme is unusual in that it does not specify an
>     Internet protocol or access method for such files; as such, its
>     utility in network protocols between hosts is limited.
>     -- http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc1738.txt 3.10 FILES

The above is true in that there's no current standard, but file:// is often used.  There's
also an smb:// RFC that's been submitted to IETF, don't know if or when that will be approved.

> But catalina.properties does not contain any admonitions
> to that effect.

Nor does the Tomcat source code; in either case, you better know what you're doing and have
good reason to make changes.

> You should be tidy and close all your database objects
> *including* the connection.

It's not just being tidy - it's required.

 - Chuck