tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: SingleThreadModel for servlets
Date Tue, 25 Nov 2008 20:51:28 GMT
> From: Tony Anecito [mailto:adanecito@yahoo.com]
> Subject: RE: SingleThreadModel for servlets
>
> The question I wanted answered was in general if current real
> life experience still holds true that the mutli-threaded
> single servlet model is still faster than one servlet per
> thread where the servlet is pooled.

For a properly written webapp, I doubt that you'll be able to measure much difference in CPU
performance, other than the increased likelihood of operand cache misses when you have multiple
active Servlet objects rather than just one.  There would be some increase in Java heap (and
therefore RAM) usage as well, but given enough real memory that's not likely to be an issue.

 - Chuck