tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: load-on-startup
Date Tue, 25 Nov 2008 17:06:07 GMT
> From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
> Subject: load-on-startup
>
> 1) In the case of Tomcat 5.5 and higher, is there a way to *prevent* a
> deployed application to be loaded and/or started at Tomcat startup ?

Turn off the deployOnStartup attributes of the <Host> element.  Also consider turning
off autoDeploy.
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/config/host.html#Automatic%20Application%20Deployment

> 2) what is the interpretation of a missing <load-on-startup> tag ?

Initialization when Tomcat feels like it, which should be at the first reference.

> Using the Tomcat Manager app, I can "stop" and "start" an application.

Stopped is deployed but inactive; requests return a 503 status (as opposed to a 404 when the
webapp isn't deployed).  Webapps in a stopped state may be started or removed.  The normal
cycle is:
  deploy --> start <--> stop --> undeploy
The initial transition from deploy --> start happens automatically when a webapp is deployed.

> What really happens there, internally ?

Juha L answered that succintly.  Gotta use all that space in the heap for something...

 - Chuck