tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Setup Logging for Tomcat 6
Date Tue, 25 Nov 2008 00:53:06 GMT
> From: Michael Ludwig [mailto:milu71@gmx.de]
> Subject: Re: Setup Logging for Tomcat 6
>
> "See the driver" - I think I used that expression yesterday. "Share a
> logging complex" - could you expand a bit on what this means,
> or provide a pointer to an informative document?

Look at Tomcat's class loading hierarchy.  Classes loaded from Tomcat's lib directory are
shared at runtime by all webapps (and Tomcat, for that matter), whereas classes coming from
a webapp's WEB-INF/lib or WEB-INF/classes are local to that webapp.  If the classes from Tomcat's
lib directory have any static fields or singleton objects, only one copy of those fields and
objects exist for all the webapps.

I haven't looked inside log4j to see just what information in maintains in static fields or
singletons, but keeping the log4j.jar with each webapp insures you won't get any unwarranted
interaction in your webapps' logging.

 - Chuck