tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Threads and blocked count value
Date Tue, 04 Nov 2008 18:58:04 GMT
> From: Stefano Nichele [mailto:stefano.nichele@gmail.com]
> Subject: Threads and blocked count value
>
> I'm running tomcat 6.0.13 + jdk 1.5 in my production system and I'm a
> bit wondering about the number of times the "Reference Handler" thread
> has been blocked in just 3 days: 9500835 (checked using jmx)

The Reference Handler thread is internal to the JVM; it doesn't belong to Tomcat.  It's responsibility
is to take care of objects that garbage collection has found to be unreachable other than
via some form of Reference object (e.g., SoftReference, WeakReference).  Completely ignorable.

> What do you think about these numbers ?

Pretty much meaningless when taken out of context like this.

 - Chuck