tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Ron McNulty" <rmcnu...@xtra.co.nz>
Subject JSP recompiles on every access - Tags in jar
Date Sat, 01 Nov 2008 03:01:31 GMT
I recently inherited some IBM Websphere Portal code that I wanted to run on the Apache Jetspeed
portal (Which runs on Tomcat 5.5.23). To my consternation, performance was terrible, and it
turned out all JSPs (and their embedded custom tags) were being recompiled on every page access.

I have now isolated the problem down to being (I think) a bug in Tomcat. To reproduce it,
the following conditions need to be met:

  - A JSP uses custom tags that are written in JSP language (i.e. Not Java).
  - The custom tags have been packaged into a jar
  - The tags use an <%@ include file="foo.jsp" %> directive.
  - It does not matter what is in foo.jsp  An empty file triggers the problem nicely.

I have a small Eclipse project that reproduces the problem. Both Tomcat 5.5.23  and 6.0.16
exhibit this behavuour (without Jetspeed being in the picture at all).  Removing the include
fixes the problem.

Before I submit a bug report, I thought I would ask the group if the above conditions are
legal, and has anyone seen this happen?

Regards

Ron