tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "emerson cargnin" <echofloripa.y...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Disabling catalina.out log
Date Mon, 20 Oct 2008 19:33:39 GMT
I just did some more tests.
What happens is:
- Whatever you put in your app log4j property files is what will go to
the catalina.out. There is no such thing as getting a catalina.out
clean.
- You can have a rotateable tomcat.log. But that will be deplicated
from what is already in catalina.out

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

2008/10/20 emerson cargnin <echofloripa.yell@gmail.com>:
> Again the issue of the logs.
>
> According to:
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/logging.html
>
> 1) I add log4j-1.2.15.jar and commons-logging-1.1.1.jar inside my common/lib
> 2) I create a log4j.properties inside common/classes with the following content:
>
>  log4j.rootLogger=ERROR, R
>  log4j.appender.R=org.apache.log4j.DailyRollingFileAppender
>  log4j.appender.R.DatePattern='.'yyyy-MM-dd
>  log4j.appender.R.File=/dev/servers/apache-tomcat-5.5.26_fe/tomcat.log
>  log4j.appender.R.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
>  log4j.appender.R.layout.ConversionPattern=%d [%t] %-5p %c - %m%n
>

> Result:
>
> 1) a rotateable tomcat.log should be created, containing only error logs
> 2) catalina.out would have all log4j messages, which would be
> redirected to tomcat.log
>
> Well, it doesn't actually happen.
>
> - The tomcat.log is actually created, but it still contains all of
> debug/info messages.
> - catalina.out still has all log4j messages.
>

> Could someone confirm what is the right behaviour?
>
> regards
> Emerson
>
> 2008/8/21 emerson cargnin <echofloripa.yell@gmail.com>:
>> Which are the views of other people in the list?
>>

>> On 21/08/2008, emerson cargnin <echofloripa.yell@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Kees
>>>
>>> That one is another log file, configured at logging.properties:
>>> 1catalina.org.apache.juli.FileHandler.level = INFO
>>> 1catalina.org.apache.juli.FileHandler.directory = ${catalina.base}/logs