tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Len Popp" <len.p...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [OT] Why can NOT run Tomcat on my Laptop
Date Sat, 11 Oct 2008 21:45:38 GMT
On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 16:45, André Warnier <aw@ice-sa.com> wrote:
> Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>>>
>>> From: IceManPat [mailto:patrickstudy@gmail.com]
>>> Subject: Re: Why can NOT run Tomcat on my Laptop
>>>
>>> C:\>set JAVA_HOME =D:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_07
>>
>> The problem is you have a space before the equals sign; that makes the
>> environment variable "JAVA_HOME " (note the trailing space), rather than
>> "JAVA_HOME".  Take the space out.
>>
>> Despite Martin G's dire warning, spaces in the value of JAVA_HOME are not
>> a problem; spaces at the end of the environment variable name are.
>>
> Allowing spaces in directory and file names was a nutty idea which
> has cost more over time than the Iraq war and current financial debacle
> combined.  It should be re-regulated.

And yet, as Charles pointed out, it's not a problem for the genius
Tomcat developers! (Re-read his message - the problem is a space in
the *name* of the env variable, not the directory. All of us Windows
users have no problem with Java being installed in the default
"Program Files" directory.)
--
Len