tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Wm.A.Stafford" <staff...@marine.rutgers.edu>
Subject Tomcat 5.5 logging confusion
Date Fri, 24 Oct 2008 14:45:22 GMT
I am installing Tomcat 5.5.27 on Windows XP as the servlet container for
a Spring MVC app we will be hosting.  I have installed many older
versions of Tomcat with no problems but I'm stuck on this installation.

In older Tomat versions when an application is started, in my case a
Spring based app, loads of Spring output is written to STDOUT.  It is
literally impossible to debug Spring startup issues without this output.

With my current T5.5.27 installation I see some files being created in
the logs dir upon startup: admin,catalina,host-manager,localhost and
manager.  But these files are empty.  There is no output to be found
from Spring.

Where would output to STDOUT be found?
http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Logging#Q6 says it should be in
catalina.out.

Is there a way to produce some log entries from the Tomcat distribution
to determine if STDOUT output is going where is is supposed to go?

Thanks for any help or advice,

-- bill