tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Appeal to Tomcat developers
Date Thu, 16 Oct 2008 15:42:33 GMT
Mark H. Wood wrote:
[...] good stuff

> I think that's what is being asked: there should be *one page* that
> begins with *everything you need to know* in order to say, "put the
> log file there".  Just that.  After that, it's appropriate to point
> out that much more subtle arrangements are available, and when you
> want more, come back, here are pointers to all the hairy details.

*YES*
Thank you.

That's what I mean with a (revisited) <Logger> element :
have some simple attributes in it, similar to the former Tomcat 4.1
<Logger>, for a simple configuration.
Then add a couple of attributes of the "delegate to" variety, for anyone
who wants to make it more complicated, delicate, fine-tuned, whatever.

Then give the possibility to copy and modify this <Logger>, and insert
it into each webapp's web.xml or context.xml, to say "now this one logs
some other way".  But if I remove this <Logger> from the webapp config,
then it reverts to logging like its papa.

I have no idea if this would be difficult, or if this is even possible
or allowed with respect to Java or Servlet specs, but that's the idea,
and it would be great for us Tomcat dummies if it was.

Alternatively, maybe something can be done in the docs, but the problem
would remain for guys like me who "get the Tomcat that's there", just
want to add this one small webapp, and please-also-clean-up-the-logs,
and have to figure out what the hell this is all about.

I have another point to add : maybe I understand this wrong, but it
seems that with the current implementation, a webapp is able to decide
where and how it logs, no matter what the overall server configuration
says.  And that seems to me like the tail wagging the dog.
But again, maybe I just don't understand how it works. I admit I don't.