tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: polish dialectic signs lturn into #
Date Mon, 13 Oct 2008 19:20:11 GMT
Mark Thomas wrote:
> Raghu wrote:
>> I have developed JSP Struts Polish Application in UTF-8  encoding.
>>

>> Application interacts with SAP for polish data .I am able to insert the data
>> into SAP from jsp application running on tomcat.
>>

>> Application which is working on windows version of polish system (windows XP
>> )is not working on Linux System.
>>

>> Polish dialectic signs like ą,ć,ś,ó,ź,ł,ę are turn into # symbols.
>>

>> Any advice to make the application work on both windows and Linux.
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/CharacterEncoding
>
> Mark

I will not discuss Mark's opinion (that would be dialectic), but to the
OP, the word usually used for these letters is diacritic.
See here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diacritic

In addition to what the above Tomcat wiki indicates, you may want to
check the "locale" of the process which runs Tomcat.
I have found that setting
LC_CTYPE="xxxxxx" ; export LC_CTYPE
prior to the java command starting Tomcat under Unix/Linux, changes the
way in which some webapps react to character sets.
(They should not, if they are properly written, but in the practice they
often do).

There is a lot more to say on this subject, but if the above is enough
to resolve your problem, we'll leave that for another time.