tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [error] (32)Broken pipe: ajp_ilink_send(): send failed
Date Tue, 07 Oct 2008 06:51:34 GMT
Sehyia Jalaludheen wrote:
> Hi Chuck,
>
> Thanks for the quick reply.
>
> I am not sure about it. But a few other machines in the same network
> also have the same Login issues for this application.
>
> Thanks
> Sehiya
>

> On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 11:39 AM, Caldarale, Charles R <
> Chuck.Caldarale@unisys.com> wrote:
>
>>> From: Sehyia Jalaludheen [mailto:sehyia99@gmail.com]
>>> Subject: [error] (32)Broken pipe: ajp_ilink_send(): send failed
>>>
>>> This happens only when I am logging into the application
>>> after a few days inactivity. Login fails in the first three
>>> or four attempts and then the login is successful.
>> Any chance the target system has gone into some form of sleep mode and
>> takes a while to wake back up?
>>
>>  - Chuck

This typically happens to us in the following scenario :
- Apache connected to back-end Tomcat via mod_jk
- make some requests that are proxied to Tomcat via mod_jk
- stop and restart Tomcat, but not Apache
- make some new requests that are proxied to Tomcat
the first few requests are unsuccesful, and after that everything starts
working again.
For lack of real knowlede about the underlying mechanism, I interpret
this as follows (and sorry for the unprecise language) : somehow some
"instances" of mod_jk stay alive after some requests have been
processed, even if one stops and restarts Tomcat, and these instances
"remember" their previous Tomcat connection.  When new requests are
processed after the Tomcat restart, these mod_jk instances still try to
access the "old Tomcat" and fail.  Only when these "old" instances of
mod_jk have been replaced by "new" instances (which establish new
connections to the new Tomcat) does the connection work again.

If one always restarts Apache after restarting Tomcat, the above
phenomenon does not occur.

I know this is an ad-hoc explanation, on the base of the symptoms only,
and would welcome an informed one.  I would also welcome a work-around
if any exits, other than also restarting Apache.