tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: Basic Tribes Questions
Date Mon, 06 Oct 2008 15:28:28 GMT
there are getters and setters for everything
and they are all documented here
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/cluster-channel.html

each component has getters/setters, for example, the multicast address

setAddress
getAddress

breakpoints might not work very well, since you are stopping one thread,
and not really emulating a real scenario.

again, sounds like you have a simple test case, if you can share that, I
can get more understanding, and help you further.

Filip

Mike Wannamaker wrote:
> Hi Filip
>
> Thanks for the info.  However, I don't see the documentation for the setters/getters
you mention below?
> Also I'm having issues while debugging.  When I hit a breakpoint in my code and while
stepping thru code, I get DISAPPEARED/ADDED messages over and over on the other server?  I
would think the heartbeat is running in a separate thread for both send/receive?  How to solve
this, bump the heartbeat timeout?

> TIA
> Mike

String.valueOf(_mainPort));
>>                 _tribesChannel.getMembershipService().getProperties().put("mcastAddress",
_multicastIPAddr);

> not sure what you are trying to do in the code below. if you wanna set
> the port, then simply do it.
> the membership will pick it up automatically
>
>>                 if(_ancillaryPort > 0)
>>                 {
>>                     _tribesChannel.getMembershipService().getProperties().put("tcpListenPort",
String.valueOf(_ancillaryPort));
>>                     // hack alert: Default Tribes instantiation (Tomcat 6.0.16) does
not read value for "tcpListenPort" from properties.
>>                     // Therefore, set it directly
>>                     ChannelReceiver receiver = _tribesChannel.getChannelReceiver();
>>                     if(receiver.getPort() != _ancillaryPort)
>>                     {
>>                         if(receiver instanceof ReceiverBase)
>>                         {
>>                             ((ReceiverBase)receiver).setPort(_ancillaryPort);
>>                         }
>>                     }
>>                 }
>>
>>                 _tribesChannel.addMembershipListener(_tribesMembershipListener);
>>                 _tribesChannel.addChannelListener(_tribesChannelListener);
>>                 _tribesChannel.start(CHANNEL_COMPONENTS);
>>             }
>>             catch(ChannelException ex)
>>             {
>>                 try { _tribesChannel.stop(CHANNEL_COMPONENTS); } catch(Throwable
t) { /*gulp*/}
>>                 _tribesChannel = null;
>>                 throw new RuntimeException(ex); // todo, exception handling?
>>             }
>>         }
>>
>> My Question is that when I start Server #1, then Server #2, then unplug Server #2
network cable, Server #1 gets the DISAPPEARED message but Server #2 just keeps logging the
message below.  As I write this it's at attempt #120.  How do I get this to notify on Server
#2 that Server #1 has DISAPPEARED or can I set the number of attempts to a maximum number
before notifying?

> the message you are getting is cause the membership tries to recover.
> you can limit this, by doing
> setRecoveryEnabled(true|false);
> setRecoveryCounter(nr-of-times-to-try-recover)
>
> also, you haven't added in the TCP failure detector, which adds one more
> layer of protection
> see it in this default configuration
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/cluster-howto.html
>
> you should still get the member disappeared error (eventually after the
> timeout), if you can supply a simple test case, I can try it out over here.
>
> best
> Filip
>

>> Also is there any other documentation for tribes, other than the limited docs on
the apache site?

>> 	INFO: Done sleeping, membership established, start level:8
>> 	Oct 3, 2008 1:12:44 PM org.apache.catalina.tribes.transport.nio.NioReplicationTask
run
>> 	WARNING: IOException in replication worker, unable to drain channel. Probable cause:
Keep alive socket closed[An existing connection was 	forcibly closed by the remote host].