tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Subject Re: JK and IIS - troubles?
Date Sun, 05 Oct 2008 12:50:02 GMT
br1 schrieb:
> Rainer Jung-3 wrote:
>> Yes, if the notion of worker is an IIS worker and not an isapi plugin
>> worker. A plugin worker in the sense of a worker configuration item in
>> workers.properties is 1:1 with a connection pool, and a connection pool
>> doesn't create threads. It will grow at most as the lower of thread
>> number and configured pool size.
>>
> Well, no, maybe we need to go some steps back.
> I am talking about JK workers (isapi plugin workers), and I have no IIS
> workers: the problem is on IIS 5.
> As I said I have a connection_pool_size currently set to 300 on the JK
> worker (IIS side) and a matching maxThreads set to 300 on the Tomcat side.
>
> What you are telling me is that I don't have 300 threads on this IIS/JK
> worker side, but simply (a maximum of) 300 tcp connections to the Tomcat
> instance, is this right? So maybe I am just out of connections..

But if you are really actively using 300 connections, it means there are
300 requests processed in parallel inside Tomcat. So you should first
check with the thread dump, what those are actually doing, and whether
it's a good idea to send even more requests there. If the web server
can't acquire another connection from the pool, further requests should
fail, not block.

Regards,

Rainer