tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <>
Subject Re: Support
Date Fri, 03 Oct 2008 08:10:00 GMT
Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
> The msvcr71.dll file (not msvci70.dll, whatever that is) is required to run the Tomcat
service launcher, but not needed when Tomcat is run via scripts.
> The reason it didn't show up on JRE/JDK 5 is because installation of that JVM version
slams a copy of the DLL into C:\windows\system32, regardless of what impact that might have
on the system.  JRE/JDK 6 installation follows the rules published by Microsoft, and keeps
the DLL in the JVM's bin directory.
> Tomcat should be distributing the DLL (or otherwise insuring its availability) during
installation or setup of the Windows service; however, no one's been able to convince the
committers of that yet.

In summary:
- the JVM requires the dll - this is a JVM bug (Sun do not agree)
- the best place to hack around this is when the jvm.dll is loaded (ie the
daemon project)
- a nice summary and all the pointers needed to fix this are here
- There is a daemon issue for this
- Someone with C skills (not me - mine are terrible) needs to write a patch.

Anyone takers?

To start a new topic, e-mail:
To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: