tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Subject Re: JK and IIS - troubles?
Date Thu, 02 Oct 2008 09:25:52 GMT
br1 wrote:
> Rainer Jung-3 wrote:
>> If so, what is your connection pool size? The default is 250, which is
>> quite high.
>>
> I did not go too far, it was the default, after some time I set it to 300
> but this did not change anything.

That might be the reason for trouble. If things start to get slow, the
web server gets filled by all thenew requests still coming in without
answering fast enough the existing ones. People often try to work around
this by increasing the number of threads available for processing the
requests, but if the backend is stuck or too slow, this will not help
and instead also trash the frontend.

You should measure how many connections you need during peak hours
without performance problems, and then add some percentage depending on
your growth rate etc. Finally you need to make sure, that your web
server itself uses at least as many threads, as you configured as the
pool size.

For Apache with mod_jk we can automatically detect the number of threads
and by default size our pool to the same number. For IIS you have to
size the pool yourself (or live with the big default of 250).

Regards,

Rainer