tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David kerber <dcker...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: Multiple Time Zones on one Tomcat instance?
Date Wed, 01 Oct 2008 13:53:25 GMT
John Gardner wrote:
> Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>
>>> From: John Gardner [mailto:john.gardner@tagish.co.uk]
>>> Subject: Multiple Time Zones on one Tomcat instance?
>>>
>>> Is there any way we can serve mutliple webapps from a single Tomcat
>>> instance, with mutliple timezones?
>>>
>> Tomcat itself doesn't care about time zones, and a single JVM instance will only
use one time zone at a time (no pun intended).  You could run two instances of Tomcat, one
for the French, and one for the less picky rest of the world.  Other than that, you'd have
to make the adjustments in the webapp itself to be cognizant of each client's time preference.

> Thanks Charles
>
> So, using two instances of Tomcat on a single host OS would also involve
> installing two JVMs and each Tomcat instance using a different JVM?

No.  I've got 3 instances of tomcat each running its own app, with one
jvm installation.  Takes lots of RAM, but works fine.  You can set the
necessary env var's independently for each instance.