tomcat-users mailing list archives

From albrecht andrzejewski <>
Subject Re: external folder be mapped to Tomcat 'specific 'webapplication'
Date Wed, 08 Oct 2008 13:46:47 GMT

> Folder  :   /root/images
> Web application folder   :   /root/TOMCAT6018 / webapps / XYZAPPS

> Question
> Can a external folder be mapped to Tomcat 'specific 'web
> application'   only  as shown below

If a folder is external, why should it be considered as part of the
webapp context ?
A popular reason why tomcat administrators used Apache httpd as a
frontend to tomcat was (i said was, because it seems to be another cup
of tea with today's server performance) to allow serving static
content like images, without having a slower process using java for a
simple GET over static files.

Accesing your /root/images with your webapp URL over the internet can be made:
- using url rewriting techniques (mod_rewrite or tomcat filter)
- by including this folder to your web app (!) so it becomes an
internal webapp folder
- by setting up an apache frontend which declare a virtual host
redirecting all 'http://<IP>:<PORT>/images/' to the document root
"/root/images" and passing all other request to mod_proxy or mod_jk.
- perhaps by putting a symbolic link (ln -s) to your image folder
within your webapp directory ?

Regards, i hope this answer brings you help.
Ps: i wouldn't use my root account to store my webapp or web
content...neither to run an application server.

Créateur - Incubateur Technologique
SITE-EERIE - Parc scientifique G. Besse

Ce message a ete envoye par le serveur IMP de l'EMA.

To start a new topic, e-mail:
To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message