tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Lars Duvaas" <lars_apa...@duvaas.com>
Subject NPE in SystemLogHandler.findStream()
Date Tue, 28 Oct 2008 07:59:59 GMT
Hi!
I have a problem with NPE in SystemLogHandler.findStream().

<copy tomcat 5.5.27>
  /**
     * Find PrintStream to which the output must be written to.
     */
    protected PrintStream findStream() {
          PrintStream ps = (PrintStream) streams.get();
           if (ps == null) {
            ps = wrapped;
        }
        return ps;
    }
</copy tomcat 5.5.27>

Somone (in this case saxon) have created a new java.io.OutputStreamWriter(System.err) with
System.err as outputStream.

Later when flush() is called on the OutputStreamWriter i get a NPE as described below.

java.lang.NullPointerException
        at org.apache.jasper.util.SystemLogHandler.findStream(SystemLogHandler.java:107) at
org.apache.jasper.util.SystemLogHandler.flush(SystemLogHandler.java:119) at
sun.nio.cs.StreamEncoder$CharsetSE.implFlush(StreamEncoder.java:410) at
sun.nio.cs.StreamEncoder.flush(StreamEncoder.java:152)
        at java.io.OutputStreamWriter.flush(OutputStreamWriter.java:213) at
net.sf.saxon.event.MessageEmitter.close(MessageEmitter.java:24) at
net.sf.saxon.Controller.transformDocument(Controller.java:1776) at
net.sf.saxon.Controller.transform(Controller.java:1559)

Google found a similar problem for me, but I could not find any solution. See
http://saloon.javaranch.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=017475

I may try to replace System.err with System.out and hope this will solve the problem.

But I would like to know what the problem is. Anyone had this before?

--
Lars :-)