tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: How to update the tomcat to run newly deployed applications withoutrestarting it.
Date Sat, 04 Oct 2008 14:29:59 GMT
> From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
> Subject: Re: How to update the tomcat to run newly deployed
> applications withoutrestarting it.
>
> First, in summary, the question may boil down to : if the
> Tomcat/conf/server.xml file is modified (timestamp changed),
> does Tomcat automatically reload itself ? after some time ?

To my knowledge, it does not; the server.xml file is only read during Tomcat startup.  However,
there are APIs within Tomcat that allow creation of hosts on the fly.  (There have been a
few discussions on the mailing list over the past couple of years on how to do that.)  The
OP gave no real indication of the mechanisms currently employed to configure the new website;
the term "publish" is pretty much meaningless.

> if the experienced delay may not just be the time needed for
> the DNS system to propagate the new domain address ?

That would certainly seem to be a factor, although it doesn't explain the claim that the new
domain is usable immediately upon Tomcat restart.

 - Chuck