tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Seek help for javax.servlet.ServletException: Java heap space
Date Thu, 02 Oct 2008 04:32:28 GMT
> From: BruceLee [mailto:mli321@yahoo.com]
> Subject: Seek help for javax.servlet.ServletException: Java heap space
>
> I tried JAVA_OPTS -Xms128m -Xmx512m -Xss1024k -XX:MaxPermSize=128m.
> On my local machine, everything is fine without any JAVA_OPTS
> customization.

What JVM are you using on your hosting server?

What JVM are you using on your local machine?

1) Read this:
http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Memory

2) Use JConsole to see what's really going on in the Tomcat heap on your hosting server while
it's running.

3) If JConsole access isn't permitted, turn on -verbose:gc to get an idea of what's happening
with the heap.

4) Turn on -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError and use jhat to see what's consuming the space.
 Look here for info on jhat:
http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/tools/share/jhat.html

5) The -Xss value seems rather high; you normally don't have to play with this.

6) It's usually better to set -Xms and -Xmx to the same value to avoid heap thrashing.

 - Chuck