tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Johnny Kewl" <j...@kewlstuff.co.za>
Subject Re: adding servlet definition to context on the fly :Tomcat 5.5
Date Sun, 05 Oct 2008 22:14:55 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: <ram.sriharsha@agileitinc.com>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Sunday, October 05, 2008 7:12 AM
Subject: Re: adding servlet definition to context on the fly :Tomcat 5.5

> Hi Johnny,
>
> Th code i used is basically the one you have in your last email...
> I have an app running in privileged mode, and it has to add a servlet
> definition on the fly to another app...so in my app i call a method and
> pass the description of the other application as well as the servlet
> definition i want to add:

Ram... listen I got it going, but not on TC 5... it works on TC 6.
Got to tell you I cant see how this ever worked on TC 4 or 5... the reason
is the class loader structure doesnt lend itself to it.
Webapps cant see the Container... so I'm wondering how you structured it
without changing TC completely?
Possibly this code came out of an embedded app....

Anyway... the tip is, if you want to make your life relatively easy... move
to TC 6 its has a flat classloader structure, so you only got to jump thru a
few hoops...
The code looks OK... but I'd suggest you add much more debugging points...
so you can watch what its doing...

And then my first gut feel stands... I would much rather go for a
specialized "invoker" type servlet with my own custom classloader...
possibly too much work but a much better solution...

... if anyone knows how one can structure this sort of code in TC 4 or 5....
I'd luv to hear it.

But its an excellent idea... this idea of "Servlet Injection" or "Servlet
Late Binding"... if there is anything out there that does this, I'd be keen
to hear it.
Otherwise its something we going to add to the our PAS.... drop a servlet in
one TC, it runs in others idea...
... thanks nice idea....

Good Luck!

> public void addServlet(WebAppConfiguration webApp, DeploymentDescriptor
> descriptor) {
>    org.apache.catalina.Server server = ServerFactory.getServer();
>    String contextRoot = webApp.getContextRoot();
>    Service[] services = server.findServices();
>    Context context = null;
>    String initParamName = descriptor.getInitParamName();
>    String initParamValue = descriptor.getInitParamValue();
>    String servletName = descriptor.getServletName();
>    String servletClass = descriptor.getServletClass();
>
>    for (int i = 0; i < services.length; i++) {
>      Engine engine = (Engine) services[i].getContainer();
>      Host host = (Host) engine.findChild(engine.getDefaultHost());
>      context = (Context) host.findChild(contextRoot);
>      if (context != null){
>        break;
>      }
>    }
>    if (context == null)
>      return;
>    StandardWrapper
>    w = (StandardWrapper)context.createWrapper();
>      w.setName(servletName);
>      w.setServletName(servletName);
>
>      w.setServletClass(servletClass);
>      w.addInitParameter(initParamName, initParamValue);
>      context.addChild(w);
>      context.addServletMapping(descriptor.getUrlPattern(), servletName);
>  }

The only real POJO Application Server.