tomcat-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Johnny Kewl" <>
Subject Re: question : encounter Read timed out occasionally
Date Mon, 13 Oct 2008 08:47:36 GMT

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Johnny Kewl" <>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <>
Sent: Monday, October 13, 2008 10:34 AM
Subject: Re: question : encounter Read 
timed out occasionally

> ----- Original Message ----- 
> From: "James Wang" <>
> To: "Tomcat Users List" <>
> Sent: Monday, October 13, 2008 7:11 AM
> Subject: Re: question : encounter Read 
> timed out occasionally
>> Hi Mark,
>> In order to find out if the problem of Request.getParameter("parm") 
>> return
>> null (missing post
>> body part) is related to http keep-alive,  We've tried to reduce
>> the KeepaliveTimeout setting in
>> Apache httpd server from 15 seconds to 5 seconds,  the strange thing
>> happened, We found
>> the null parameter count was raised from 400/per-day (in average) to 900
>> times/per-day.
>> The next step we are going to disable the keep-alive and see what will
>> happen, will let you
>> know the result for reference.
>> If disabling keeplive could resolve this problem, the mysterious part 
>> then
>> is why the
>> the browser get stuck on uploading the post body part always.
> James, what is actually doing the post?... Ajax?
> Look I dont know, but it smells like a data size problem...
> Something like a header size is saying... you going to get 500 bytes and 
> only 499 come in... so now the browser is waiting for the stupid server to 
> reply, and the server thinks the stupid browser is just slow... eventually 
> TCP sockets say... good bye, you guys are just too slow.
> So socket time out, I think, is not the real issue... some header size is 
> wrong... maybe something subtle like its multibyte and the header size is 
> calculating bytes.
> If you click twice and then the 1st param comes in... it sounds very much 
> like a header size calc is out...
> I dont know... but thats what I'd be looking for...

Another thing you can try... if its Ajax, is set it to http1.0
It will work... but there will be some data missing...
Then you'll know for sure its a data size issue...

Have fun...
The most powerful application server on earth.
The only real POJO Application Server.
See it in Action :
If you cant pay in gold... get lost... 

To start a new topic, e-mail:
To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message