tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Johnny Kewl" <j...@kewlstuff.co.za>
Subject Re: question : encounter java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out occasionally
Date Mon, 13 Oct 2008 08:34:10 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "James Wang" <wangwenpin@gmail.com>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, October 13, 2008 7:11 AM
Subject: Re: question : encounter java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read
timed out occasionally

> Hi Mark,
>
> In order to find out if the problem of Request.getParameter("parm") return
> null (missing post
> body part) is related to http keep-alive,  We've tried to reduce
> the KeepaliveTimeout setting in
> Apache httpd server from 15 seconds to 5 seconds,  the strange thing
> happened, We found
> the null parameter count was raised from 400/per-day (in average) to 900
> times/per-day.
> The next step we are going to disable the keep-alive and see what will
> happen, will let you
> know the result for reference.
>
> If disabling keeplive could resolve this problem, the mysterious part then
> is why the
> the browser get stuck on uploading the post body part always.

James, what is actually doing the post?... Ajax?
Look I dont know, but it smells like a data size problem...
Something like a header size is saying... you going to get 500 bytes and
only 499 come in... so now the browser is waiting for the stupid server to
reply, and the server thinks the stupid browser is just slow... eventually
TCP sockets say... good bye, you guys are just too slow.
So socket time out, I think, is not the real issue... some header size is
wrong... maybe something subtle like its multibyte and the header size is
calculating bytes.
If you click twice and then the 1st param comes in... it sounds very much
like a header size calc is out...
I dont know... but thats what I'd be looking for...

The only real POJO Application Server.