tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Johnny Kewl" <j...@kewlstuff.co.za>
Subject Re: Support
Date Fri, 03 Oct 2008 14:02:09 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldarale@unisys.com>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, October 03, 2008 3:42 AM
Subject: RE: Support

> From: Johnny Kewl [mailto:john@kewlstuff.co.za]
> Subject: Re: Support
>
> Normally I always recomment lagging a JRE version as well...
> avoid bleeding edge...

JRE/JDK 6 has been around for almost two years now, so I don't think the
1.6.0_07 download is at all risky.  On the other hand, the 1.6.0_10 release
really is bleeding edge.  Sun's current versioning scheme does border on the
incomprehensible...

 - Chuck

Time flies... damn.
You right its not really a TC server issue, the thing thats at the back of
my mind is that companies are lazy... and I havnt checked lately, but
hopefully Apple has sent out some scouts an discovered theres a new JDK ;)
In theory JDK 6 targeting 5 should be a safe bet, and on TC it is... but
Swing and stuff like that, build it targeting 6, and if then try move it
back to JRE 5... it hurts ;)

TC is almost immune, its a tough product... but what we find its that in the
IDE we have both JDK 5 and JDK 6 loaded... again not really a TC issue.
Sun really seem to be on a mission... for 10 years they were sleeping, but
now they moving at dizzy speed, your customers may not be.

The only real POJO Application Server.