tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Johnny Kewl" <j...@kewlstuff.co.za>
Subject Re: Tomcat Servlet & Bouncy Castle Problem
Date Thu, 02 Oct 2008 14:53:46 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeng Yu" <jengyu2007@yahoo.co.uk>
To: <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 02, 2008 10:19 AM
Subject: Tomcat Servlet & Bouncy Castle Problem

> Hello Friends!
>
> I have a debugging problem here that I hope the gurus
> here can help me figure out.
>
> I'm trying to do RSA public key encryption in a
> servlet that I'm developing inside Netbeans 6.1. I'm
> using the Bouncy Castle (BC) crypto package. When I
> build the servlet, there are no errors. Then I run it,
> and Netbeans invokes the Tomcat 6.0.16 container in it
> and  waits for a client to conect. But when I connect
> to the servlet from a client, it crashes when it
> executes this line in my code:
>
> private RSAPrivateCrtKeyParameters RSAprivKey = null;
>
> with this message in the Tomcat log output:
>
> SEVERE: Allocate exception for servlet Fortune
> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
> Lorg/bouncycastle/crypto/params/RSAPrivateCrtKeyParameters;
> Interestngly, the same RSA public encryption code with
> Bouncy Castle library works flawlessly when I develop
> it in Netbeans IDE and run it as a java application
> (not servlet). In servlet environment, it fails. Yes,
> I added cldc_classes.zip class library file from
> Bouncy Castle to compile the code.
>
> Oh, and the client reports the following error when
> trying to connect to the servlet:
>
> The server encountered and internal error that
>        prevented it from fulfilling this request.
> ServletException: Error instantiating servlet
>        class fortune.Fortune.
>
> What am I not doing right? Has anyone else seen
> something similar and what's the
> getaround/workaround?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeng Yu

Jeng we use BC in servlets and have no problems, but its a long time since I
was into it...
I think you need to get into their mailing lists or what ever they have....

I cant remember using the cldc_classes.zip .... isnt that for JavaME only?
... because it doesnt have BIGINT or something... make sure you not screwing
Java now.
If your BC is in the class path, take it out of there and try get it going
in your test apps...
If in doubt... use the source code for BC... so A you can remove the huge
amount of stuff you wont need... and B if I remember correctly we spent a
lot of time making it independent of JCE which seems to change every java
version...

Only place those libs must be is in your web app...

Anyway its not TC... bouncy castle is one complex piece of code with a
million options and forks

... make sure its not in the classpath...

Good luck

The only real POJO Application Server.