tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Paul Pepper" <>
Subject Problems with <Context/>
Date Wed, 03 Sep 2008 17:52:19 GMT
A discussion regarding the use of the <Context/> element, within
server.xml and $CATALINA_BASE/conf/[enginename]/[hostname]/, grew from
a thread with subject "Problem with JNDI environment entry resources":

In that thread the question seemed to boil down to: Can, or should, a
web application's war file name or exploded directory name be allowed
to differ to the the context path?

This problem arose for me out of an attempt to use a context file:
with the following contents:
  <Context docBase="appname.war" />
On my reading of this is
valid configuration. However, the app at docBase didn't deploy as the
default (ROOT) app, but it does if the <Context/> element is placed in
  <Context docBase="appname.war" path="" />

Is it the docs, the code, or my understanding, that is out when I try
to make a web app the default app using a file,

If the issue is one of code or docs, then I'm happy to do what I can
to resolve that.

To start a new topic, e-mail:
To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: