tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Paul Pepper" <sip.sni...@gmail.com>
Subject Problems with <Context/>
Date Wed, 03 Sep 2008 17:52:19 GMT
A discussion regarding the use of the <Context/> element, within
server.xml and $CATALINA_BASE/conf/[enginename]/[hostname]/, grew from
a thread with subject "Problem with JNDI environment entry resources":
http://marc.info/?l=tomcat-user&m=122045686313688&w=2

In that thread the question seemed to boil down to: Can, or should, a
web application's war file name or exploded directory name be allowed
to differ to the the context path?

This problem arose for me out of an attempt to use a context file:
  $CATALINA_BASE/conf/[enginename]/[hostname]/ROOT.xml
with the following contents:
  <Context docBase="appname.war" />
On my reading of
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/context.html this is
valid configuration. However, the app at docBase didn't deploy as the
default (ROOT) app, but it does if the <Context/> element is placed in
server.xml:
  <Context docBase="appname.war" path="" />

Is it the docs, the code, or my understanding, that is out when I try
to make a web app the default app using a file,
$CATALINA_BASE/conf/[enginename]/[hostname]/ROOT.xml?

If the issue is one of code or docs, then I'm happy to do what I can
to resolve that.

Thanks,

Paul.