tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Fisher <dfis...@jmlafferty.com>
Subject Re: XP/Vista/Office 2007/IE Compatibility Question
Date Tue, 30 Sep 2008 11:48:43 GMT
Martin,

>> 3) If the software is not independent of Office 2007, is it
>> compatible
>> with it? If not, what is the compatible version and what are the
>> costs
>> involved in upgrading?
> MG>the way TC handles Microsoft Compound Documents such as XLS and
> DOC files are thru POI Apache interface
> MG>http://www.apachenews.org/archives/001180.html
> MG>This common POI interface allows access to HSSF (binary file
> format, .xls) and XSSF (ooxml file format, .xlsx)
> MG>i think its safe to assume POI access to legacy .doc Documents
> and .xls Spreadsheets is assumed
> MG>in other words read access to POI docs is almost assured..write
> capability is another matter

There is NOT as much support as you say - please read the note more
carefully. The Apache POI project is working on OOXML and this support
is limited and in Beta form - POI 3.5 Beta 3 was released just this
Sunday. (Announcement attached below.)

Support for .doc files is nowhere near as robust as .xls,

If you have questions about POI you can send an email to user@poi.apache.org

Regards,
Dave

 From the Apache POI Team: