tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "emerson cargnin" <echofloripa.y...@gmail.com>
Subject Non-Heap Memory always increasing during deployment for TC 5.5.26/Solaris/JVM 1.5.0_16
Date Tue, 16 Sep 2008 13:33:50 GMT
Hi

I tried to find about this in the tomcat faq, google, but still
haven't found the reason for this strange behaviour.
Every time I hot-deploy an application, the non-heap memory goes up.
This ends up breaking the tomcat server with the message:
"Exception in thread "RMI TCP Connection(13)-12.169.193.2"
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space"

I profiled it and got the result in the image:
http://home.zenly.co.uk/emerson/Console.png
I tested in two different solaris servers witht he same behaviour.

Even after I undeployed the application via manager app the memory
didn't go down.
I know I can get this non-heap memory up using -XX:MaxPermSize but
shouldn't the memory go down after the undeployment?

My Configuration:
JVM: JVM 1.5.0_16
Server: SunOS boxname 5.10 Generic_120011-14 sun4v sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-T200
Tomcat: 5.5.26

I just did the same test on windows and I couldn't see the non-heap
memory going mad.

Thanks a lot
Emerson