tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Robert Koberg <...@koberg.com>
Subject Re: Etags vs Week Etags
Date Thu, 11 Sep 2008 14:49:28 GMT

On Sep 11, 2008, at 10:36 AM, Christopher Schultz wrote:

> Johnny,
>
> Johnny Kewl wrote:
>> For example if you want XSLT in tomcat, first impression is its
>> xerces

(Jumping without reading previous posts)

You first impression is wrong :) Xerces is an XML parser. Xalan (and
better, Saxon) is an XSL processor. Xalan is built into the JDK, so
you get that by default unless you change the JAXP system property.

>> and a complex servlet and lots of pain... you actually think tomcat
>> cant
>> do it, but then you look at the default servlet and "Obama!" its
>> there
>> ;) I call it TC's hidden gold mine ;)

Saxon (preferably v 9x, so XSL 2.0) has a nice, simple servlet example
for XSL/XML transformations.

(On another thread in this list, someone was talking about disabling
everything but taglibs in JSP. Well, if you used well-formed JSP, you
could stick an XSL filter before the JSP and use an identity transform
to strip out the things you don't want.)

> Huh? The DefaultServlet handles XSLT? Which version of TC is that in?

There is XSL for directory listings by default.

best,
-Rob