tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Leandro Dardini" <l.dard...@comune.prato.it>
Subject R: Monitor and report number of concurrent user
Date Thu, 04 Sep 2008 07:31:43 GMT

The easy and dirty way is to query the manager application and grab the current session, running
threads and other vars you are interested in. Be warned the manager application is not so
easy to parse.
The correct path instead is to use JMX. JMX can be used to monitor all aspect of tomcat, like
threads, sessions, etc. etc. If you use a jdk >= 1.5 then start adding -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote
to your JAVA_OPTIONS and then look at http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/management/agent.html
and http://java.sun.com/jmx for details. There is already a nagios probe to get data via jmx
http://www.nagiosexchange.org/cgi-bin/page.cgi?g=2338.html;d=1

I personally use the lambda probe application to monitor my tomcat farm from nagios. It is
way too easy to parse.

Leandro