tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Peter Crowther <Peter.Crowt...@melandra.com>
Subject RE: HTTPS and Virtual Hosts
Date Mon, 22 Sep 2008 10:31:49 GMT
> From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
> I seem to remember that there was talk about a scheme or a
> protocol that
> would allow (very roughly) a client/server pair to start a
> session using
> HTTP (not SSL), negociate, then in the course of the session "upgrade"
> this link to HTTPS.  And that this somehow could be a solution to the
> Virtual Host issue under HTTPS.
> Am I dreaming this up, or does there exist something in that
> general area ?

I've no idea whether such a protocol exists today; however, the current set of browsers don't
appear to support such a beast.  It might be a good solution 5 years down the line, once all
the old browsers that don't support it have fallen out of use, but even if the protocol's
ready to go now the installed browser base isn't ready for a site that uses it.

                - Peter