tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Peter Crowther <Peter.Crowt...@melandra.com>
Subject RE: Ignorance about some things.
Date Mon, 01 Sep 2008 14:16:07 GMT
> From: Ronald Klop [mailto:ronald-mailinglist@base.nl]
> My experience is also that java likes more memory on 64-bit
> systems. But I can't prove or explain it.

I would expect 64-bit Java to use 64-bit object pointers, and 32-bit Java to use 32-bit object
pointers.  Given how often object pointers occur in typical Java programs, that's a fair bit
of extra memory.  If you assume that half of a typical object's state is references to other
objects, then (naively) you'll use 50% more memory.

Now I'll sit back and wait for Chuck to contradict me :-).

                - Peter