tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Is deployOnStartup broken?
Date Tue, 30 Sep 2008 09:52:10 GMT
Mark Thomas wrote:
> Erwin Hogeweg wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am trying to re-deploy a war file on a RHES 5.2/Tomcat 6.0.16 server,
>> but the war file does not expand when Tomcat is restarted.
>>
>> I have set the host variable deployOnStartup to "true", but even though
>> the war file has a newer timestamp that the deployed folder the file is
>> not re-deployed.
> That sounds like normal behaviour to me. If updating a WAR whilst Tomcat is
> not running, I would expect to have to remove the old WAR and old expanded
> directory. I would also clean out the work directory just to be on the safe
> side.
>
>> The file IS redeployed when I 'touch' the war file while Tomcat is
>> running, or when the expanded folder does not exist.
> Again, I am pretty sure that is what was intended.
>
>> The catalina.out log file shows Deploying MyWar.war, but nothing really
>> happens.
>>
>> Is there any specific debug logging that I can enable which shows me
>> what is going on?
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/tomcat/trunk/java/org/apache/catalina/startup/HostConfig.java?revision=675650&view=markup
> is the source that is handles deployments. The WAR unpacking is handled by
> ContextConfig in the same package.
>
> Some additional logging is available if you turn up logging for these
> classes. Add:
> org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig=FINE
> org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig=FINE
>
> to your logging.properties
>
> Mark

Translation : ;-)

Tomcat does not "remember" the age of war files, between a stop and a
start. (In fact, Tomcat probably does not remember anything between a
stop and a start).

If you stop Tomcat, then replace just the war file, then restart Tomcat,
Tomcat looks at the *deployed* application, sees it's still there, and
does not check the war file.   (And apparently in that case, it does not
compare the age of the deployed application files with the war
timestamp)(and probably rightly so, because that might be "expensive")

If you stop Tomcat, then replace the war file and delete the deployed
application, then restart Tomcat,
Tomcat looks at the *deployed* application, sees it's not there, and
thus deploys the war file.  As long as you do not stop Tomcat, it
remembers the timestamp of the war file.

If you do not stop Tomcat and replace the war file, Tomcat notices that
its timestamp has changed, and redeploys it, overwriting the
previously-deployed version. (or more probably it first stops and
deletes the previous application entirely, before re-deploying the war
file).

(All the above assuming deployOnStartup="true" and autoDeploy="true")

Correct, Mark ?