tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Smith <d...@cornell.edu>
Subject Re: [TOMCAT] Internal Tomcat Server error (HTTP Status 500): NoClassDefFound
Date Mon, 29 Sep 2008 13:54:31 GMT
Tomcat maintains log files in it's logs directory.  All the log files
are just plain old text files, typically with timestamps.  Just take a
read through it for the moment in time when your webapp is deployed and
see if there are any error messages.  Because you work on a Windows
environment, you may have to make a copy of the log file before opening
it for reading.  Either that or stop Tomcat and then read the file.

--David

Jon Haitz Legarreta Gorroño wrote:
> Sorry for my ignorance, but what do you mena by "the log files for
> messages that occur when your webapp starts"?
> Where can I look for them?
> Thanks for your patience and support,
> JON HAITZ
>

> David Smith escribió:
>> Have you looked at any of the log files for messages that occur when
>> you webapp starts?
>> --David
>>
>> Jon Haitz Legarreta Gorroño wrote:
>>> Hi there,
>>> thanks for the suggestion David.
>>> I am pretty new to all these Web technologies, so I hope I
>>> understood well your mail.
>>>
>>> 1. I've got two versions of the StrutsPageLifecycleFactory and
>>> DefaultStrutsPageLifeCycleFactory classes: the first ones located in
>>> the folder
>>>
>>> C:\Program
>>> Files\JDeveloper\adfc\src\adf-controllersrc.zip\oracle\adf\controller\struts\actions

>>> and the other ones in
>>>
>>> C:\Program
>>> Files\JDeveloper\adfc\src\adf-controllersrc.zip\oracle\adf\controller\v2\struts\lifecycle

>>> (I work under XP and my IDE is Oracle JDeveloper 10g version
>>> 10.1.3.0.4)
>>>
>>> On my previous mail I had a look at the first ones, so therefore,
>>> and a you suggested, I was not looking at the one being used when
>>> the stack trace is being produced, which is the one contained in the
>>> second path.
>>>
>>> The method yielding the problem is the following one:
>>>
>>> private static PageLifecycleFactory getDefaultInstance()
>>>   {
>>>      if (defaultInstance == null)
>>>      {
>>>         defaultInstance = new DefaultStrutsPageLifecycleFactory();
>>>      }
>>>          return defaultInstance;
>>>   }
>>>
>>> And line 68 is where the new defaulsInstance is created:
>>> defaultInstance = new DefaultStrutsPageLifecycleFactory();
>>>

>>> 2. As for the question whether they exist only once in Tomcat, in my
>>> Tomcat folder (C:\Tomcat\common\lib), none of them exists; the jars
>>> I've got are:
>>>
>>> ant
>>> ant-launcher
>>> commons-collentions-3.1
>>> commons-colletions-dbcp-1.2.1
>>> commons-el
>>> commons-pool-1.2
>>> jasper-compiler
>>> jasper-runtime
>>> jasp-api
>>> naming-common
>>> naming-factory
>>> naming-java
>>> naming-resources
>>> servelt-api
>>> tools
>>>
>>> And C:\Tomcat\common\classes is empty.
>>>
>>> In the WEB-INF\classes folder of my project, the above-mentioned
>>> classes (StrutsPageLifecycleFactory and
>>> DefaultStrutsPageLifeCycleFactory) do not exist.
>>> In the WEB-INF\lib folder of my project, the jars I've got are:
>>> adf-controller
>>> commons-beanutils
>>> commons-collections
>>> commons-digester