tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Smith <d...@cornell.edu>
Subject Re: Some Prilim questions
Date Wed, 24 Sep 2008 15:50:50 GMT
I have no idea where you are going with this ... it makes no sense to
the original question.

If you mean the webapp is hosted on a geographically distant place from
the database server, then you'll have latency like no tomorrow
regardless of whether a database pool is used or not.

The point and reason developers use a database pool is the pooled
connections are already formed.  Getting a connection is just borrowing
it from the pool and closing is just returning it after your all done.
Pooling makes sense because connection handshaking and authentication is
done once on the first call for a connection.  Each successive borrow of
that connection is ready immediately without any overhead associated
with forming a new one.

--David

Martin Gainty wrote:
> the referenced jndi lookup in the webapp context is located in India and the DB is in
Ithaca NY the Indian JNDI lookup is considerably slower than 'ordinary JDBC connection' from
NY

> With Warm Regards
> Martin
> Disclaimer and confidentiality note
> Everything in this e-mail and any attachments relates to the official business of Sender.
within this transmission.

>> From: karthik.nanjangude@xius-bcgi.com
>> To: users@tomcat.apache.org
>> Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 18:56:53 +0530
>> Subject: RE: Some Prilim questions
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> Ok, I have read the link provided
>>
>> This answers the 2nd Question
>>
>> What about the first Question ?

>> With regards
>> karthik

Sender. This transmission is of a confidential nature and Sender does not endorse distribution
to any party other than intended recipient. Sender does not necessarily endorse content contained